Thursday 1 March 2012

The Getaway


It been quite a while since iv been able to update the old blog, not because iv been extremely busy but rather TIA and internet comes and goes like supplies at the co-op and much like the good old co-op it will be out of stock for various reasons for a ‘good’ amount of time. But anyways what have I been up to. Well I had a day off a miracle I know but the day after the course left I woke up at 10.00 and did nothing. But it couldn’t last and the next day I was back in the office preparing for the next course, for this course outside help had been brought in by the name of Caroline. That evening I had my first proper South African Braai (for those of you speaking queens English that’s a Barbeque). The following day the course arrived but you don’t want to know about that; that it was one of the trickiest courses yet and how they were ridiculously unfit, or even how through a bit of hard work the group actually managed to improve and work as a group. No you want to hear about my 10 days off seeing the sight of South Africa. On the 17th I said goodbye to the burg and hello Grey town. Like all the other Grey names settlement you could see how it got its name. But with a cricket, football, rugby and hockey pitch along with a swimming pool at my disposal I think I’m gong to get on ok here. The following day it was off to the mall for a propa day out, but like all shopping centres its all very pretty but also very expensive so it was a day of window shopping. However the following day was also spent on the look out but this time for something a bit more interesting at a new pair of jeans. After a leisurely morning I went with matt and the family to Weenan game reserve to try spot me some wildlife. And it appears im a lucky chap as after drive no more the 5km through the park we’d spotted, Hartebeest, Eland, Duiker, Ostrich and quite a few Zebras. At the hid there were a few more Zebras chill-axing in the mud and quite a few terrapins. For the lunch spot I found an appropriate fig tree and proceeded to climb it but I didn’t get the look out point id hoped for so after a quite bit it was back in the car and back on the hunt for some game. We soon came across another heard of Zebras but soon after we spotted our first giraffe and then a few warthogs and the rather cool the rather classy Water Buck. But eventually the fun had to come to an end and it was back to Grey Town for a Braai, oh yer. The next few days were spent chilling at grey town and seeing the limited sight and on the 23rd taking a strole to the cross, which was meant to give a good view of the town but instead it give a nice view of a few trees. But not wanting to walk all that way for a few trees I climbed to cross and got the view. At the weekend we went to stay in the grand city of Pietermaritzburg relaxing with beer and pizza in front for the super 12 rugby Saturday evening before our big day out. Sunday it was up early and off to the sandy beach of Durban. Upon arriving we set up camp and headed for the water. Unlike most beaches iv visited the waves here were rather large perhaps up to 3 meters high, so to jump them proved to be a mission and for the first 10 mins or so I at the mercy of the wave. But eventually I got the technique sorted and have quite a good time, jumping over, swimming with, floating on and driving through the crashing waves. After the beach it was back to the burg for a braai before getting back to the grind stone. But first the braai, we decided the old plastic chair just didn’t cut the mustard so we lugged a few sofas outside got the fire going and spent the rest of the evening Braaing and chilling round the fire.    


Water (Bear) Buck


No comments:

Post a Comment