Friday 9 March 2012

Welcome Back

After my 10 days away from the burg id forgotten about the ‘joys’ of office work but on the27th I was quickly reminded how mundane it all is and yet again found myself looking out the window longing to get out. Luckily for me today we were off to Nysonger to prepare an ‘educational visit’ for the next school so I was granted my freedom for a few hours. After work it was decided to go for a small jog. However this soon turned into an intense hill training session. Not the chilled jog I was hoping for but still I felt good afterwards. What wasn’t good though was the lack of electricity at the staff house. So our electric cooker was a bit useless. By this time it was around 1900 and my stomach was beyond talking to me; so determined to eat I got a fire going and once there was a few ember ready to use I got my cooking on. It was nothing fancy but at least it was something. The following day the internet had disappeared in the office and so had all the work for us to do so I was rather bored. But never mind somehow I found a way to pass the hours and when evening came it was off on another jog. This time the slow gentle jog I had been after the day before. The 29th provided a welcomed change of scenery for me, in the morning a couple of keen birders had arrived at the crane centre and after been give the tour ask if they could have a guide to try help them find the cape black cap and some wattle cranes in the wild. Well I told them I wasn’t the best bird spotter but id be more than happy to take them. Apparently not fazed by my complete lack of knowledge we went on the hunt.  After a few hours in the forest our hunt had come up dry but the couple, again not fazed by the lack of birders seemed very grateful for my help (I was very grateful for the chance to get out of that office) and after dropping me off went with high spirits in search of the wattle crane. Skipping the after noon in the evening we went out to hit the ‘town’, ok we actually just went to the nearest pub that was open on a Thursday. But we still got all frocked up and after finding the pub had a good time chilling out and relaxing with a couple of drinks. Thursday was a day spent organising for the course arriving the following day, which I had the joy of been in charge. The following day came but the course didn’t. Well not until 2230, they had had a bit of engine trouble with the bus; it broke down sever times on the way and when faced with a big hill the passengers had to get out and walk, so not the best first days for our new group. After a night in the tent (that’s right the tent; this course had requested that someone slept outside the dorms in a tent, joy of joys.) it was off to pick up the ladies then off to do the activates and to try and lifts the groups spirit. But I couldn’t and still can’t figure this group out, there incredibly well behaved and always do what you ask them, but they seemed to find every activity a laborious task and not fun in anyway. But never mind I enjoyed myself, the Nysonger trip on the 3rd went well, managed to get rid of the drunks before the kids turned up at the house, and our day up in the mountains was great fun. But ay, courses for 6 days it sure take sit out of you. So once the course had left on the 7th we made a plane to get some braai meet and to celebrate and unwind in style. But upon returning from the town trip the rain and thunder had arrived. But TIA and nothings going to dampen our spirit, we just simply moved the braai pit underneath the porch and carried on the party late into the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment